Heya folks! It’s Friday, and that means the latest sync has happened! This week brings critical security updates to your web browsers. They were pulled to the Stable repository earlier in the week, so make sure your browsers are up-to-date! Also of note is the inclusion of eza, an
ls replacement tool written in Rust. It replaces
exa, which was recently abandoned. Eza replaces Exa, so don’t forget to update any scripts or aliases using it!
We’ve all been hard at work this week writing documentation, taking a hard look at our package tooling, and preparing the next round of major stack upgrades.
Speaking of tooling, we’ve started collaborating with the wonderful folks at Serpent OS to replace our current program for post-install/update triggers called
usysconf. This tool performs various operations depending on what files on your file system have changed; for example, refreshing the icon cache if an icon theme changes. The new replacement will be written in Rust, and will serve both Solus and Serpent going forward. You can find it here.
In other news this week, @JoshStrobl recently appeared on the Fedora Podcast to talk about Budgie Desktop! Topics include “What is Budgie?”, target users, upcoming features, and contributions. It was a great conversation, so check it out!
- Mesalib updated to v23.1.7 with some additional packaging changes/fixes:
- Vulkan is now hardware accelerated on Intel 7th/8th gen GPUs
- Ray-tracing should be working on Intel ARC GPUs
- Mangohud hardware sensors should be more reliable
- SDL2 updated to 2.28.3 bringing a bunch of controller fixes
- PPSSPP updated to v1.16.1, bringing in RetroAchievements support!
- RSS Guard is now in the repositories for all of those RSS aficionados amongst you
And now for the rest of this week’s updates, in non-exhaustive fashion:
- Numix icon themes
That’s all we have for you this week! See you here next time for the weekly news roundup!