We've noticed that there are several recurring questions, so I'm going to consolidate the answers here and add to this as needed.
Q: Who runs Solus?
Solus is currently structured as multiple Teams. The Core Team is responsible for setting the direction and priorities of Solus, publishing new releases and syncing weekly, and making the final decisions on changes to Solus. The Global Maintainers are individuals who have previously demonstrated a strong commitment to the future of Solus by maintaining packages and providing user support. As Global Maintainers, they are granted the ability to directly push package updates to the Unstable repository and have been put in charge of the maintenance of certain sets of software.
You can find the full team here: https://getsol.us/solus/team/
Q: When will XYZ happen?
Solus does not provide Estimated Times of Arrival (ETAs) for anything. It's not that we don't like having deadlines, but that all of us are volunteers working on Solus in our free time. Life happens, Murphy's Law happens, and rather than disappoint you and ourselves by not meeting a predetermined ETA, we have decided it just works better not to have them.
Q: How can I contribute?
Q: How can I donate?
Short-Answer: We are not accepting donations at this time.
Long-Answer: Because Solus is not currently a company or partnered with a non-profit, all Tax burden falls on the person who owns the accounts where the donations are deposited. For me to do this personally, that would mean that I would have to set aside 10-20% of every dollar received for taxes in order to pay income tax on these donations. This is in addition to the taxes taken out when the provider (e.g. Patreon) accepts those donations (usually VAT for the country of origin) and the service charge to accept donations. This could easily mean that 25-40% of every donation is immediately consumed by taxes and we have decided that that is not acceptable. We are planning to become affiliated with a non-profit so that your donations will not be subject to VAT. Until this situation has changed, we have decided not to accept donations.
Q: An app I use isn't in the repository or is not up-to-date?
An application may not be in the repository due to various factors, such as:
- It simply hasn't been requested on our development tracker yet. See our Requesting a Package documentation.
- It has been requested and not packaged, as all new packages require a dedicated maintainer.
- It has been requested and rejected for various factors, laid out in our Package Inclusion Policy. Please bare in mind we do make snap and flatpak available, so installing your app through those avenues may be an option!
An application may not be not be up-to-date due to various factors, such as:
- The updating of the package is blocked by other required changes.
- The package is held to a specific version for various factors.
- We're all volunteers and it has either been missed or we haven't had the time to update it.
In all those cases, we welcome you Request a Package Update.